As part of the Festival Sefarad de Montréal, the Communauté sépharade unifiée du Québec and the Canadian Sephardi Federation are offering a conference series on the history of the Holocaust in North Africa, in partnership with the Montreal Holocaust Museum, the FNJ Canada and the Centre Culturel Marocain Dar Al Maghrib à Montréal.
- Sunday, November 14 and Monday, November 15, 2021
- Visit the Communauté sépharade unifiée du Québec website to book a conference
- Virtual conferences offered on Zoom
Experts and historians from several countries will shed new light on the history of the Holocaust in North Africa. These conferences will also provide an opportunity to learn more about the role and resistance of Righteous Among the Nations such as Sultan Mohamed V of Morocco, Moncef Bey, the Bey of Tunis or the rector of the Grand Mosque of Paris, Si Kaddour Benghabrit.
Conferences Series program
- November 14 at 10 am: “La situation des Juifs de Tunisie pendant la Shoah” with Abdelhamid Larguèche, historian and professor at Université de la Manouba and Faculté de Tunis. (TICKETS)
- November 14 at 2 pm: “Histoire des relations entre Juifs et Musulmans en Afrique du Nord pendant la Shoah” with Benjamin Stora, historian and former professor at Université Paris-XIII (TICKETS)
- November 14 at 4 pm: “La Shoah et les Musulmans du Maroc: les Justes d’hier, les visionnaires du future” with Mohammed Hatimi, professor at Université de Fès and Abdellah Ouzitane, geopolitical researcher, professor of law (TICKETS)
- November 14 at 6:30 pm: Film screening of “Les Hommes Libres” from filmmaker Ismaël Ferroukhi (TICKETS)
- November 15 at 2 pm: “L’enseignement de l’histoire de la Shoah, nouveau tabou ?” with Georges Bensoussan, historian, Driss Khrouz, Director of Morrcco’s National Archives, Abdelhamid Larguèche, historian and Mohammed Hatimi, historian (TICKETS)
- November 15 at 4 pm: “L’éclosion d’associations philanthropiques juives au Maroc après la Shoah” with Yolande Cohen, historian and professor à l’UQAM (TICKETS)
- November 15 at 7:30 pm: “My search for Arabs who saved Jews during the Holocaust” with Robert Satloff, author and Executive Director of the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, and Ralph Benmergui, journalist (TICKETS)
Register for a conference