The aim of the Hana’s Suitcase learning activity is to introduce the story of Hana Brady, a victim of the Nazis, to students in grades 6 and up.
Following the footsteps of Fumiko Ishioka, a young educator in Japan looking for information about Hana Brady, students gradually discover some similarities between the young girl and themselves. Students learn about the persecution of Jews and the impact it had on the Brady family in the context of the main events of the Holocaust. Hana’s Suitcase encourages students to reflect on the consequences of discrimination, both today and in the past.
Students learn about the history of the Holocaust in a meaningful manner, the impact of racism in our society and an overall appreciation and respect of diversity.
- Make connections of continuity with the present by defining concepts related to the Holocaust
- Perceive traces of continuities or changes related to racism and prejudice today
- Justify their view of the diversity of cultural communities in Canada
Download the Hana’s Suitcase pedagogical activity
The Hana’s Suitcase pedagogical activity is available online free of charge. Click on the download links at the bottom of this page to get the activity corresponding to the school curricula of your province.
You can get in Quebec a print version of this activity free of charge* using the pre-reservation form. You will receive:
- The teaching guide with ten activities
- One copy per student of the book Hana’s Suitcase, by Karen Levine
- A Brief History of the Holocaust: A Reference Tool
- Nine reproductions
- 1 DVD
- Hana’s family photo album reproduction
* Attention! The activity itself is free; however, shipping/courier costs of the suitcase are at your own expense.
Learn more about the Holocaust the Museum’s collection of artefacts and testimonies
More information on Theresienstadt, Terezin city ghetto, you can read the story of Edvard Neugebauer’s Watercolour on Objects of Interest section of this website. For more information on the Holocaust, see the Brief Holocaust History Reference Tool.