In this photograph from 1942, a group of Jewish residents of the Lublin ghetto stand in line to board a cattle car. They will be deported to the Belzec or Majdanek neighbouring camps. Two German guards watch the scene with two other men with long dark coats. A yellow star is visible on the backs of most of the individuals being deported.
Jews Deported from the Lublin Ghetto
Lublin City Ghetto
The city of Lublin was occupied by the Germans after the invasion of Poland in 1939. In an effort to “Germanize” the city, the Nazis increased the German population by 25%. They also forced Jews to move into a ghetto to await their deportation to the Belzec killing centre. Ghetto residents who were selected for forced labour were sent to the Majdanek camp outside to the city.
Faige Rubin donated this photograph to the Montreal Holocaust Museum in 2012.
This project is part of the implementation of the Plan culturel numérique du Québec.